Bill's Genealogy Blog

Bill Buchanan is a long-time genealogy enthusiast, living in Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada. This blog will describe my experiences as I research my family history and help others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada

I am a retired online school teacher. I love family history. Since 2007, I have spent much of my time providing part-time support for the world's largest free family history site https://familysearch.org This is very rewarding. I have helped others with the Family Tree and related FamilySearch products.
In 2010-2018 I served in the Edmonton Riverbend Family History Centre. I have a FHC blog at Bill's Family History Center Blog For information the Latter-day Saints and family history click https://www.comeuntochrist.org/

Friday, June 25, 2010

Family June has been an exciting month with lots of family birthdays and birthday parties for the grandchildren. There has also been the University of Alberta graduation of a daughter, and her receiving her first contract as a teacher. And last Saturday, four of the grand daughters were in a large (6-hour) dance rehearsal held at the Jubilee Auditorium. And on Sunday most of the family were to our house for Fathers Day. It has been a wonderful month to be a grandfather! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Family History Center Last night 10 people who had attended the Family History classes at Parkland Ward came to my FHC by special invitation. It was wonderful that they came! One man found his grandparents' family in the 1920 US census in Oregon on HeritageQuest.com ... another found himself on a passenger manifest on findmypast.co.uk as a baby with his parents and an older sister who subsequently died. The manifest even listed the address of the family home back in Scotland. ... another found his great grandmother's birth record, which named her parents. ... another found his grandparents on the 1911 census of Ireland, and then found both of them in the 1901 census of Ireland as children living with their parents and siblings. One family was shown as Church of Ireland and the other was Roman Catholic ... verifying family stories of religious conflict between the two families. A fun time was had by all, at the Family History Center! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Tip One tip I had to keep repeating is to NOT fill in every space in the Search forms. I had to explain that otherwise they will eliminate finding any records that do not contain all of the same information. (e.g. only death records will have a date and place of death, only marriage records will usually have a date and place of marriage, so putting in both sets of information eliminates nearly all records) ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Slide Presentation At the FHC I found a partial backup of my slide presentation on the FHC Services Online Portal, saving me perhaps 6 hours of work! And yesterday I captured the remaining screen shots. I saved two copies of it to be on the safe side, plus I left copies on the FHC computer. I have about 120 screen shots. For actual presentations I will make copies of this and delete the slides I don't want to use. I hope you are having a wonderful week. Here, the flowers are blooming and the world is beautiful!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home