Bill's Genealogy Blog

Bill Buchanan is a long-time genealogy enthusiast, living in Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada. This blog will describe my experiences as I research my family history and help others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada

I am a retired online school teacher. I love family history. Since 2007, I have spent much of my time providing part-time support for the world's largest free family history site https://familysearch.org This is very rewarding. I have helped others with the Family Tree and related FamilySearch products.
In 2010-2018 I served in the Edmonton Riverbend Family History Centre. I have a FHC blog at Bill's Family History Center Blog For information the Latter-day Saints and family history click https://www.comeuntochrist.org/

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Installing Free Software and Accessing Databases at the FHC Last week I installed a variety of software programs at the Edmonton Riverbend Family History Center. These programs are free to all FHCs. We also got Ancestryinstitution.com working on our computers with help from FHCsupport@ancestry.com. I was quite impressed by what Ancestry.com has made available to the FHCs. While it is not the full ancestry package, it seems very extensive, including censuses for the USA, UK (England & Wales), and Canada (including the 1916 census of Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta). I continue to try out the resources in the FHC Services Online Portal. There is an abundance of resources available at your local FHC. Free nFS Printing Site Found There is a free website that will print very nice charts from the data on new.familysearch.org, (available to most LDS at present, and is expected to be available to the general public by the end of 2010). The printing site is https://treeseek.com/ and seems to be completely free (but I see it is marked as a beta site). One problem I ran into was that it printed my 9-generation fan chart on a single letter sized page. Even with a magnifying glass it was hard to read. So I tried again, checking my printer settings. This time I chose to change Page Scaling to None, so it prints on 8 sheets of letter sized paper. Much better! Lost Relatives Found I was contacted by one of my Forsbury relatives in Australia, who told me that her aunt lives in western Canada, just a few hour's drive from me! My Dad (Peter) has a sister who emigrated to Canada in the 60’s... they have lived all over Canada. Kind regards Caroline On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 1:58 AM, Caroline wrote: Hi Bill, Yes always interested in more family tree stuff. We recently found the trial records of my husbands ggg grandmother, who was transported to Australia for stealing... like you said it was amazing hearing her actual words. I have found a lot more information on my husband's family and my maternal side as well ... the family tree is getting bigger, but amazingly every single one is English... not even a drop of irish or scots blood in there. Kind Regards Caroline Caroline gave me the name and email address of her aunt. I sent the aunt an email and a photo of my great grandparents. I hope she contacts me so we can share family stories and information.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home