Bill's Genealogy Blog

Bill Buchanan is a long-time genealogy enthusiast, living in Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada. This blog will describe my experiences as I research my family history and help others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada

I am a retired online school teacher. I love family history. Since 2007, I have spent much of my time providing part-time support for the world's largest free family history site https://familysearch.org This is very rewarding. I have helped others with the Family Tree and related FamilySearch products.
In 2010-2018 I served in the Edmonton Riverbend Family History Centre. I have a FHC blog at Bill's Family History Center Blog For information the Latter-day Saints and family history click https://www.comeuntochrist.org/

Friday, May 21, 2010

At the FHC During the past week I have been trying to get the subscription-based websites working properly in Riverbend FHC's free "Family History Center Services Online Portal". The hold-out was Genline.com, which gives access to the digital images of the Swedish Church Books. I finally had to phone FamilySearch Support, and let a technician take remote control of the computer to uninstall the wrong version of the Genline launcher and install the correct version for FHCs. Then I installed the Genline launcher on the other 4 patron-use computers. Last night I trained three other people on using the resources in the FHC portal. I think they were as impressed as I was with some of the resources. HeritageQuest, Findmypast, and the Godfrey Memorial Library are my favorites ... at least so far. Now if we can get Ancestryinstitution.com working, our patrons should feel richly rewarded for their trip to our FHC. Our director has asked me to also do an inventory of the CD-based resources in the center. Which ones do we need to keep, which ones can we throw out? ... I am still working on that project. Google Reader I follow Dick Eastman's blog, and he suggested that Google Reader (and other similar news-feed readers) were a more efficient way to follow blogs. So I tried it. I quickly found there were some blogs that I didn't want to follow, as they had too many postings or they were not sufficiently relevant. Fortunately, they were easy to unsubscribe. I am still somewhat tentative about this concept. The blogs I read through my email remain my favorites.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home