Bill's Genealogy Blog

Bill Buchanan is a long-time genealogy enthusiast, living in Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada. This blog will describe my experiences as I research my family history and help others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada

I am a retired online school teacher. I love family history. Since 2007, I have spent much of my time providing part-time support for the world's largest free family history site https://familysearch.org This is very rewarding. I have helped others with the Family Tree and related FamilySearch products.
In 2010-2018 I served in the Edmonton Riverbend Family History Centre. I have a FHC blog at Bill's Family History Center Blog For information the Latter-day Saints and family history click https://www.comeuntochrist.org/

Saturday, May 15, 2010

Favorite Podcasts I love to listen to family history podcasts. These are basically radio broadcasts over the internet that you can listen to at the time that is best for you. 3:27 AM? No problem! And if you prefer to take them on the road, just copy them to your iPod or MP3 player, and listen to them whenever and wherever you want. One of my favorites is Lisa Louise Cooke's Genealogy Gems. I have listened to every episode, as well as her podcast Family History: Genealogy Made Easy. I recently had some photos of text that I wanted to transcribe. In the past I have printed off the photo and copied the text into my word processor. I hate wasting paper, (although you would never guess that from looking at the work table that serves as my desk)! I remembered that one of the people Lisa interviewed spoke of a free Windows program called Transcript 2.3, that sounded like the FamilySearch Indexing software. You load the image, and it appears at the top of the screen, and there is a text window at the bottom of the screen for data entry. You don't need to take your eyes off the screen. I tried it and I really liked it. Lisa's notes from the interview http://personallifemedia.com/podcasts/415-family-history/episodes/49889-family-history-blogging-part Her podcasts are available from http://genealogygems.tv/Pages/Podcast/PodcastList.htm Here is a welcome video where Lisa introduces herself and her two main podcast series. If you are passionate about family history this is a wonderful resource, and her basic podcasts are free! I have no business connection with Lisa Louise Cooke, I am just a very satisfied listener.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home