Bill's Genealogy Blog

Bill Buchanan is a long-time genealogy enthusiast, living in Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada. This blog will describe my experiences as I research my family history and help others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada

I am a retired online school teacher. I love family history. Since 2007, I have spent much of my time providing part-time support for the world's largest free family history site https://familysearch.org This is very rewarding. I have helped others with the Family Tree and related FamilySearch products.
In 2010-2018 I served in the Edmonton Riverbend Family History Centre. I have a FHC blog at Bill's Family History Center Blog For information the Latter-day Saints and family history click https://www.comeuntochrist.org/

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Exchanging information I was contacted a few days ago by a Broughton relative, and we exchanged information. As a result, I have been able to update three of my Buchanan families who descended from the Broughtons! (These updates will appear in the 2010 version of the Buchanan Family Tree e-book, which I plan to have available in December.) I hadn't expected anything out of helping her, but it is nice to see how "what goes around comes around". While researching the Broughtons who lived in Elma Township, Perth County, Ontario, I came across information on the settling of North Easthope. This was of special interest to me because my Buchanan family went there 2 or 3 months after their arrival in Canada in 1847, and the women stayed there for the winter while the men went into the wilderness north of Stratford to seek land and build houses. (Their settlement later became Donegal, which is east of Newry but not shown on the map. The pin marks North Easthope, maybe 30 km from Donegal.) The article I found is at http://my.tbaytel.net/bmartin/perth.htm and I found it fascinating. As I read about John Campbell, second Marquis of Breadalbane clearing the tenants from farms in the glens around Loch Tay, and sending them to Canada, I immediately thought of the old Scottish ballad "Bonnie George Campbell" and it's catching melody. "High upon Highland and low upon Tay Bonny George Campbell rode out for a day Saddled and bridled and gallant rode he. Toom home came his good horse But never came he." There are many variations in the words, and in some versions it mourns the death of James Campbell, who died in the battle of Glenlivet on October 3, 1594. Other good stuff I just received my free copy of The Practical Archivist's popular e-booklet "8 Blunders People Make When They Scan Photos and How To Avoid Them All". The Practical Archivist, Sally Jacobs has a blog and a website and has been interviewed by one of my favorite podcasters, Lisa Louise Cooke http://www.genealogygems.tv/. The Practical Archivist is well worth checking out. http://practicalarchivist.com/ If you haven't listened to Lisa's podcasts, you are missing fun and interesting stuff!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home