Bill's Genealogy Blog

Bill Buchanan is a long-time genealogy enthusiast, living in Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada. This blog will describe my experiences as I research my family history and help others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada

I am a retired online school teacher. I love family history. Since 2007, I have spent much of my time providing part-time support for the world's largest free family history site https://familysearch.org This is very rewarding. I have helped others with the Family Tree and related FamilySearch products.
In 2010-2018 I served in the Edmonton Riverbend Family History Centre. I have a FHC blog at Bill's Family History Center Blog For information the Latter-day Saints and family history click https://www.comeuntochrist.org/

Thursday, February 04, 2010

When I visited Mom, she gave a me a box of photographs. Most were less than 10 years old, but a few date back nearly 100 years. I have spent my "spare" time scanning them. They were scanned 3 or 4 at a time, and need to be cropped into individual photos, and labeled. It will take some time, but it will be time well spent! In July 2009, my cousin Darlene Perrett visited the old lands of our Buchanan family. She recently sent me photos (and permission to post them on the internet). Some of the photos were from Binnawooda Townland in Ardstraw Parish or County Tyrone, Ireland. This is where my Buchanans lived before emigrating to Canada in 1847, during the peak of the great Irish potato famine. Y-DNA test results stated that we were of "a typical chiefly line" of Clan Buchanan, so Darlene also went to Scotland to visit the ancestral homeland of the world's Buchanans, centered in Buchanan Parish in Stirlingshire. This is on the east shore of Loch Lomond, where the Highlands meet the Lowlands, quite a pretty place according to her photos. The photos can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.ca/GenealogistBuchanan/DarleneS_2009_Trip#

1 Comments:

Blogger FranE said...

How wonderful that she was able to visit the origin of your family in Ireland. There are few who have that type of information. I love the pictures, how nice of her to share them.
Frances

Friday, February 5, 2010 at 11:25:00 PM MST  

Post a Comment

<< Home