Bill's Genealogy Blog

Bill Buchanan is a long-time genealogy enthusiast, living in Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada. This blog will describe my experiences as I research my family history and help others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada

I am a retired online school teacher. I love family history. Since 2007, I have spent much of my time providing part-time support for the world's largest free family history site https://familysearch.org This is very rewarding. I have helped others with the Family Tree and related FamilySearch products.
In 2010-2018 I served in the Edmonton Riverbend Family History Centre. I have a FHC blog at Bill's Family History Center Blog For information the Latter-day Saints and family history click https://www.comeuntochrist.org/

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

I was doing a Google search for my Shipgood family: +shipgood family London Unexpectedly I found the eye-witness testimony of my 2g-aunt in a crimal case. http://www.oldbaileyonline.org/browse.jsp?path=sessionsPapers%2F18840915.xml Old Bailey Proceedings, 15th September 1884. 965. JOHN KILSEY (35) , Stealing 1l. 16s., the money of Thomas Speller. Second Count, receiving the same. ... MARY ANN SHIPGOOD . "My husband is a carman, of 5, Greg Street, Waterloo Road — we were in the Battersea Road on the Wednesday after Bank Holiday and saw the girl Sanderson and the prisoner in a tramcar going away from their home." A case including conflicting testimonies by the accused, his girl friend, her father and mother, her uncle (the victim), and others. It includes theft, abduction, threatened suicide, beatings, adultery ... the court of law shows the ugly side of society in any time and place. Victorian society was no different. Our relative was an innocent by-stander to some of the drama. How wonderful it is to have this little sample of her own words! The page image can be viewed at http://www.oldbaileyonline.org/images.jsp?doc=188409150181 [Mary Ann (Forsbury) Shipgood was the sister of Martha Jane (Forsbury) Ing, my great grandmother.]

1 Comments:

Anonymous Sanjay Maharaj said...

Great piece of historical record.

Monday, March 15, 2010 at 3:35:00 PM MDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home