Bill's Genealogy Blog

Bill Buchanan is a long-time genealogy enthusiast, living in Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada. This blog will describe my experiences as I research my family history and help others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada

I am a retired online school teacher. I love family history. Since 2007, I have spent much of my time providing part-time support for the world's largest free family history site https://familysearch.org This is very rewarding. I have helped others with the Family Tree and related FamilySearch products.
In 2010-2018 I served in the Edmonton Riverbend Family History Centre. I have a FHC blog at Bill's Family History Center Blog For information the Latter-day Saints and family history click https://www.comeuntochrist.org/

Saturday, March 06, 2010

This last few days I have been helped by various other people. As is often the case with the internet, I do not know where what countries they live in, with one exception. Joanne lives in England and gave me the exact information I needed to find my great grandmother and my great aunt in the passenger manifest. I knew they immigrated to Canada from England in 1907 and previously, I had found this: www.findmypast.com Lastname Firstname Age Sex Year of departure Departureport Destinationcountry Destinationport -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ING Ada L 19 F 1907 Liverpool Canada Quebec ING Martha J 59 F 1907 Liverpool Canada Quebec But Joanne gave me the name of the ship and the date of arrival, so I could find them in the passenger manifest! Passenger Lists, 1865-1922 Ship: SOUTHWARK Shipping Line: Dominion Line Departure Port and Date (yyyy/mm/dd): Liverpool, England - 1907-09-26 Port and Date of Arrival: Montreal, Que. - 1907-10-05 Quebec, Que. - Remarks: List Number: 727626Reference: RG 76Microfilm: T-492 20th Page (numbered 17) Name Sex/Age Read Write Married Occupation Passengers Birth Ultimate destination Line 7 Ing Martha J (F) 59 yes yes widow none 1 England Delevin Line 8 Ing Ada Louise (F) 19 yes yes single domestic 1 England Delevin http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/e/e147/e003666956.jpg The only paid subscription site I currently subscribe to is http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/ and in the past week I was contacted through them by Katrina regarding our Linnen ancestors around Greenlaw, Berwick, Scotland. The local parish records go back to 1699, providing some challenges. Still, I believe this to be the marriage of our ancestor William Linnen's father John in a neighboring village. Scottish Church Records 2.02 FULL RECORD OF MARRIAGE (Including Source) John LINNEN Sex: M Spouse: Katherin SHEIR Sex: F Marriage 26 Apr 1705 Eccles, Berwick, Scotland ADDITIONAL INFORMATION Frame 120 Going back any further on this line will probably require researching wills and land records, which I have done very little of so far. Well, genealogy keeps us learning and growing, right? But the biggest new information came from Ray through GenesReunited. We share an interest in my Ing ancestors of London, England. I have been frustrated for many years by my inability to find the marriage of Emily Ing and William Aitkins or Akins and then finding them in the census. I have checked all of the near-misses, but none of them was convincing. Ray asked me whether I would prefer a clue or an answer. I asked for an answer. Surname First name(s) District Vol Page -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Marriages Dec 1872 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Akimes James Wandsworth 1d 911 [Akines] Ing Emily Wandsworth 1d 911 http://www.freebmd.org.uk/ This reference in FreeBMD was familiar. I had seen it and then passed over it as the first and last names of the husband were different than Grandpa Ing had given me in 1962. Of course, Grandpa was wrong about the given name of a different uncle, so he was a wonderful grandpa but not an accomplished genealogist. Ray included a transcription of the marriage record: London Marriages- www.ancestry.com [Writing on Certificate quite hard to decipher in places] 25 Dec 1872 St Paul's Clapham JAMES '(Akins)' [Ancestry:Aikens, BMD Akimes] age 23 Bach. Bricklayer Father [indecipherable Ancestry has Martha, possibly Mathew] Emily Ing age 30 Spinster Father Robert Her father's name was the proof I was wanting! Ray continued: 1891 Census (Very Clear) 116 Earl Street, Islington, Marylebone Emily AKINES widow born Marylebone William John AKINES age 17 born Marylebone Free BMD Sep 1897 Kensington Death Emily Akines Regards, Ray So a big THANK YOU to all of the "Joannes" and "Katrinas" and "Rays" among us, who give of their time to help us to discover our families and their stories.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home