Bill's Genealogy Blog

Bill Buchanan is a long-time genealogy enthusiast, living in Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada. This blog will describe my experiences as I research my family history and help others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada

I am a retired online school teacher. I love family history. Since 2007, I have spent much of my time providing part-time support for the world's largest free family history site https://familysearch.org This is very rewarding. I have helped others with the Family Tree and related FamilySearch products.
In 2010-2018 I served in the Edmonton Riverbend Family History Centre. I have a FHC blog at Bill's Family History Center Blog For information the Latter-day Saints and family history click https://www.comeuntochrist.org/

Tuesday, March 09, 2010

In the last two days, Raymond Evett sent me the scanned images of the weddings of three of my 2-gf Robert Ing's children: Thomas, Emily, and Priscilla. What a treasure!
Here is a shrunken version of Priscilla's marriage certificate. Her father being Robert Ing and her sister Emily signing as a witness, prove she is the right person. I find it interesting that the Ing sisters could sign their own names but the groom and the male witness could not.
In my own research, Emily disappeared from the official records after the 1861 British Census.
I had found a "Priscilla Clark" as a witness to Thomas' marriage, whom I believed was Priscilla Ing, but had no proof. The only other official records of Priscilla were of "Priscilla Moore" a half-sister living in Thomas' household during the 1901 census, and the death of Priscilla Moore in Marylebone district the following year. Other than that, I had no official records of Priscilla.
Ray also found Emily (Ing) Akines as a widow living with a 17 year old son in the 1891 census, and her death in 1897.
Last night I was struck by the similarity of the addresses: 19 Linton Place and 25 Linton Place These would seem to be very close. What if I checked the 1881 census household-by-household? The 1881 British census at familysearch.org makes this easy as clicking on "previous household" or "next household". I reached the end of the street, but I kept looking. Wow, within a few minutes I had found Emily!
1881 British Census Name Relation Marital Status Gender Age Birthplace Occupation Emily ATKINS Head W Female 40 Marylebone, Middlesex, England Launderess William J. ATKINS Son Male 7 Marylebone, Middlesex, England Scholar Fanny SHOUD Boarder U Female 50 Egham, Surrey, England Servant -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Source Information: Dwelling 19 Bowmans Bldg Cottages Census Place London, Middlesex, England Family History Library Film 1341033 Public Records Office Reference RG11 Piece / Folio 0152 / 67 Page Number 5
And about two minutes later I found James and Priscilla Moore in the same building as Emily! The handwriting of the surname must be atrocious, to be so badly interpreted! 1881 British Census Name Relation Marital Status Gender Age Birthplace Occupation James HUORE Head M Male 51 Marylebone, Middlesex, England Labourer [MOORE]
Priscilla HUORE Wife M Female 43 Paddington, Middlesex, England Cook [MOORE] -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Source Information: Dwelling 19 Bowmans Bldg Cottages Census Place London, Middlesex, England Family History Library Film 1341033 Public Records Office Reference RG11 Piece / Folio 0152 / 67 Page Number 6 So in your research, get help where you can, and explore all the different avenues (including one household after another).
Also try a first name search if you know the name of someone in the household and the name of the head of the household. That might have helped me to find the Moores in the 1881 census a few years ago despite the mangled surname. Sadly it would not have helped me to find the Akines, as I had not expected James Akines to be dead already in 1881. Life can be short.
Ray Evett, if you read this. Thank you again!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home