Bill's Genealogy Blog

Bill Buchanan is a long-time genealogy enthusiast, living in Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada. This blog will describe my experiences as I research my family history and help others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada

I am a retired online school teacher. I love family history. From 2007-2020, I spent much of my time providing part-time support for the world's largest free family history site https://familysearch.org This is very rewarding. I have helped others with the Family Tree and related FamilySearch products.
In 2010-2018 I served in the Edmonton_Alberta_Riverbend_Family_History_Centre..I have a FHC blog at Bill's Family History Center Blog Since 2020 I have been a family history consultant for Edmonton Alberta North Stake. For information on the Latter-day Saints and family history click https://www.comeuntochrist.org/

Monday, May 11, 2020

To Absent Friends

This traditional toast to fallen comrades came to mind as I continued going through the table-top sized Tucker family genealogy charts I received from Jane Varkaris several years ago.

As I was following the Konold family line, I discovered the death of one of my "genealogy buddies", Mary Louise Konold Lott, a family history researcher who cooperated with two generations of researcher in my wife's Simpson branch of the family, As I was reviewing the Konold line in the FamilySearch Family Tree, the most common contributor was "LottMaryLouiseKonold", and there were portraits lovingly attached to most of the records by Mary. I found a nice obituary that talked about Mary's many talents and interests. Guess what, genealogy was not one of the things listed! Thank you Mary, for so many jobs well done!!!

This morning I decided to see if my genealogy buddy Jane Varkaris was still living, (I believe she gave me the Tucker charts as a gift, but maybe they were just a loan. I decided that I should check with her,) I discovered that Jane and her husband Gus have both passed away. Her obituary was mostly about her passion for the history of clocks and clock-making, including references to 5 books and numerous articles she had published on historical Canadian clocks and clockmakers. She is referred to as "Canada's foremost researcher and author of books and articles on Canadian Clocks and Clockmakers." She also served a term as Director of the National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors. I found it curious that her lengthy obituary made no mention of genealogy. But somehow she managed to fit a lot of it into her busy life, Good work Jane!!!

As family history researchers we are in contact with many people, and most of them are very helpful. These two people have been among my best genealogy buddies..

Farewell to absent friends!



Obituaries: Mary Lott  Jane Varkaris



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home