Bill's Genealogy Blog

Bill Buchanan is a long-time genealogy enthusiast, living in Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada. This blog will describe my experiences as I research my family history and help others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada

I am a retired online school teacher. I love family history. From 2007-2020, I spent much of my time providing part-time support for the world's largest free family history site https://familysearch.org This is very rewarding. I have helped others with the Family Tree and related FamilySearch products.
In 2010-2018 I served in the Edmonton_Alberta_Riverbend_Family_History_Centre..I have a FHC blog at Bill's Family History Center Blog Since 2020 I have been a family history consultant for Edmonton Alberta North Stake. For information on the Latter-day Saints and family history click https://www.comeuntochrist.org/

Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Next Phase

My mission in FamilySearch Support has ended. I was just remarking to my wife that it feels strange to not be meeting with my team at this time on a Wednesday morning, And yesterday, I missed being able to help patrons and our support missionaries in our help chats.

I received a long hand-written letter of appreciation from my mission supervisor, that brought tears to my eyes. And my team created a tribute PowerPoint presentation. I have seldom felt so honored and so appreciated. Maybe in another year or two I will be able to apply again. In the meantime, I have other tasks to do, and many hours of additional time in which to do them.

So far, the extra time allowed me to find digitized copies of some special old tape recordings that I thought were lost forever. Now we have the opportunity to listen to my grandmother Louisa, at age 97 singing old songs she remembered from when she was young. And a 1964 tape letter home from my mission in Marseilles, France. This is wonderful!

I am also busy colorizing old black and white photos at https://www.myheritage.com/incolor

and then uploading them to FamilySearch Memories.

I hope that you are able to put some extra time into family history. Geoff Rasmussen at https://familytreewebinars.com/ humorously reminds us that time is short, so we should do family history first. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I received word that my uncle Evans Carson passed away at age 97 on April 11th. I will miss him. He was always present at any of our Ing family events, usually at the center of things. He was a life-time athlete. As a small boy, I remember seeing him and his brothers and his friends competing in the big July 1st baseball tournament in Breton. Over the years he took part in many sports. His love of people and his infectious enthusiasm.enriched the lives of the people around him. Farewell Uncle Evans, until we meet again. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home