Bill's Genealogy Blog

Bill Buchanan is a long-time genealogy enthusiast, living in Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada. This blog will describe my experiences as I research my family history and help others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada

I am a retired online school teacher. I love family history. From 2007-2020, I spent much of my time providing part-time support for the world's largest free family history site https://familysearch.org This is very rewarding. I have helped others with the Family Tree and related FamilySearch products.
In 2010-2018 I served in the Edmonton_Alberta_Riverbend_Family_History_Centre..I have a FHC blog at Bill's Family History Center Blog Since 2020 I have been a family history consultant for Edmonton Alberta North Stake. For information on the Latter-day Saints and family history click https://www.comeuntochrist.org/

Saturday, January 25, 2020

Phoebe Larsen and the California Gold Rush


I did some more research on Phoebe Katheryn Larsen, the mother of my third cousin, Clifford Claude Buchanan jr. She has an interesting story. Part of it in in her obituary:

"Phoebe K. Loughead
October 10, 1912 ~ August 19, 2018
Phoebe Kathryn Loughead was born October 10, 1912. On Sunday, August 19th, 2018 she peacefully stepped into the presence of Jesus. Just shy of her 106th birthday she was the last of the Larsen siblings (twelve-in-all) to step into Heavens doors.
In lieu of flowers or condolence cards please feel free to donate to her beloved church, St. Spiridon Orthodox Cathedral, 1310 Harrison St, Seattle, WA 98109.”

She married Robert Vincent Loughead after Clifford Buchanan's death. In her obituary, the only hint of something unique, other than her advanced age, is her religion.

Phoebe was born in Kodiak, Alaska. Her parents were Norwegian-born Martin Larsen and Russian-Aleut “Nadia” Nadezhda Petrova Chichenev. Nadia's father was Peter Zacharof Chichenev and her grandfather was Zakhar Pertov Chichenev, a Russian, and an official with the Russian American Company. Yes, this was the company that ran Alaska for the Russians!

In my research, I discovered that Zahkar served in Alaska but also served in the RAC base in California, sometimes called Fort Ross. When the RAC decided to move out of California they sold the fort and surrounding land to J, Sutter in 1841. That name may ring a bell. Five years later, in 1846 Mexico surrendered California to the USA, and in 1848 gold was discovered on Sutter's property, touching off the great California gold rush.

When I told my wife, she remarked “The Russians made some bad business decisions, didn't they? First they sold their California land that became the richest place on earth, then they sold Alaska!” She is right! I am sure they regretted both deals later.

Returning to Phoebe's obituary, why was she a member of the Orthodox Church? Probably because of her Russian ancestry. Many of the Russian men in Alaska married native women, and the Russian Orthodox Church remains popular with Alaskan natives today.


No, Phoebe never took part in the California gold rush. but her grandfather lived right where it all started. During his lifetime, California changed completely.And in her 105 years, Phoebe saw the whole world change. I am sure they would both have some interesting stories to tell.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home