Bill's Genealogy Blog

Bill Buchanan is a long-time genealogy enthusiast, living in Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada. This blog will describe my experiences as I research my family history and help others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada

I am a retired online school teacher. I love family history. From 2007-2020, I spent much of my time providing part-time support for the world's largest free family history site https://familysearch.org This is very rewarding. I have helped others with the Family Tree and related FamilySearch products.
In 2010-2018 I served in the Edmonton_Alberta_Riverbend_Family_History_Centre..I have a FHC blog at Bill's Family History Center Blog Since 2020 I have been a family history consultant for Edmonton Alberta North Stake. For information on the Latter-day Saints and family history click https://www.comeuntochrist.org/

Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Using Voter Lists

I have usually regretted that ancestry.com includes these with censuses. Voters lists just give a year, name, address, and occupation. Compared with a census record this is pretty limited. But occasionally it is enough. A huge advantage of voters lists is that they are available for the time period after 1926, when no census records are currently available for Canada.

[In the example below, to protect privacy. I will use * to represent the maiden surname, ** to represent the first married name and *** to represent the second married name.]

Searching through the voters lists for North Vancouver
2153 Bellevue Ave
1945 Evelyn *  teacher

For Burnaby
4087 Charles Street
1953 Thomas ** truck driver 
Mrs Evelyn **
1957 Thomas **  labourer
Mrs Evelyn ** factory worker

3950 Eton Street
1962 Evelyn **  coil winder
1963 Evelyn **  coil winder
1965 Evelyn ***  coil winder
1968 Raymond ***  truck driver
Evelyn ***
Wayne **  labourer
Norma **  assembler

So what do I learn from the voters list that I did not know before?

1. I am able to confirm that she had been a school teacher. I was able to find that she was a factory worker, probably in a factory that produced electrical equipment, since they employ coil winders.
2. By 1953 she was married to her first husband, Thomas, who was a truck driver and a labourer.
3. About 1964 she married Raymond, her second husband, who was a truck driver,
4, Her children Wayne and Norma were age 21 by 1968 but her son Brian apparently was not, since his name is missing from the voters list.
5. From the ages of Wayne and Norma, I can estimate the she married Thomas, in about 1945.
6. I know her street addresses, in case these become useful later.

HINT:
If you know the voting district, use it as one of the search criteria to filter out people with the same name. It will save you a lot of time and work, for common names.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home