Bill's Genealogy Blog

Bill Buchanan is a long-time genealogy enthusiast, living in Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada. This blog will describe my experiences as I research my family history and help others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada

I am a retired online school teacher. I love family history. Since 2007, I have spent much of my time providing part-time support for the world's largest free family history site https://familysearch.org This is very rewarding. I have helped others with the Family Tree and related FamilySearch products.
In 2010-2018 I served in the Edmonton Riverbend Family History Centre. I have a FHC blog at Bill's Family History Center Blog For information the Latter-day Saints and family history click https://www.comeuntochrist.org/

Tuesday, August 22, 2017

A Major Ing Family Breakthrough

For years I have been stumped! My Robert Ing first appears, when he marries Rosamond Richardson in Chesham, Buckinghamshire, on 24 Dec 1788. Prior to that, there seems to be nobody by that name in the area. Thursday night, no one came to the Family History Center. I felt prompted to search FindMyPast.com and found his christening:

Buckinghamshire baptism index Transcription
First name(s) Robert
Last name Ing
Birth year -
Baptism year 1759
Baptism date 26 Aug 1759
Denomination Anglican
Place Weston Turville
Father's first name(s) John
Father's last name Ing
Mother's first name(s) Mary
County Buckinghamshire
Country England
Event Baptisms, marriages & burials
Records year range 1575-1837
Archive Centre for Buckinghamshire Studies
Archive reference D/A/T/180
Document type Bishop's transcripts
Record set Buckinghamshire Baptism Index
Category Birth, Marriage & Death (Parish Registers)
Subcategory Births & baptisms
Collections from England, United Kingdom
http://search.findmypast.com/record?id=gbprs%2fbuckinghamshire%2fbap%2f001603897

Weston Turville, Buckinghamshire, England is only about 13 miles from where he was married! When I added his parents to the FamilySearch Family Tree, they generously brought their ancestors with them.

On the Ing line: Robert < John < Joseph < Elisha < Elisha < William < John < Mr. Ing (born about 1538) and Weedon and Turner lines going further back. Ralph de Wedon born 1180 and John Turney born 1419, William Glascock 1266, John de Grey of Berwick about 1200, and probably others. This can now be seen in the FamilySearch Family Tree, and pedigree charts and family group charts can be printed from the Person pages. (A free account is needed. This is where I put all of my best material.)

It has certainly changed the aspect of my Ing line. I am thankful for the prompting to check an online service that has generally been unproductive for me. I will try to use it more often in the future.

I have subsequently spent a few hours adding sources to these lines.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home