Bill's Genealogy Blog

Bill Buchanan is a long-time genealogy enthusiast, living in Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada. This blog will describe my experiences as I research my family history and help others.

My Photo
Location: Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada

I am a retired online school teacher. I love family history. Since 2007, I have spent much of my time providing part-time support for the world's largest free family history site This is very rewarding. I have helped others with the Family Tree and related FamilySearch products.
Since April 2010, I have served in the Edmonton Riverbend Family History Centre. I have a FHC blog at Bill's Family History Center Blog For information the Latter-day Saints and family history click

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

This morning I was hosting a teleconference on Personal Ancestral File 5.2 with 60 participants. The starting time was 11:00 AM. I was able to get on the Oracle server with no problem at 10:30, but the connection was slow, so I decided to by-pass the router by connecting the computer directly to the modem. Then I discovered that I had lost my internet connection. By the time I had my connection re-established it was 10:55. I barely got into the session on time. Things went well until 11:27 when the lights went out, the computer shut down, and the cordless speakerphone went dead. A power failure! At the worst possible time! I found a corded phone and dialed into the phone bridge for the conference. People were still on, so I continued my session without its video componenent. Thanks to the wonderful participants. Then after Judy's doctor appointment, we went to visit our niece Nicole at the Univerity of Alberta Hospital. She is doing well. She had an acute attack of athsma, then was in a medically-induced coma for 11 days. She has been awake for four days and she wants to go home. She was glad of our visit. This evening I was finally able to upload the current version of my Buchanan family database to the server at What a relief! I have been trying since October 11th and the FTP software kept stopping before the job was finished. Maybe by-passing the router solved the problem. In any case it was a relief to have that job completed. So not withstanding a few obstacles, it was a very good day.


Post a Comment

<< Home