Bill's Genealogy Blog

Bill Buchanan is a long-time genealogy enthusiast, living in Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada. This blog will describe my experiences as I research my family history and help others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada

I am a retired online school teacher. I love family history. From 2007-2020, I spent much of my time providing part-time support for the world's largest free family history site https://familysearch.org This is very rewarding. I have helped others with the Family Tree and related FamilySearch products.
In 2010-2018 I served in the Edmonton_Alberta_Riverbend_Family_History_Centre..I have a FHC blog at Bill's Family History Center Blog Since 2020 I have been a family history consultant for Edmonton Alberta North Stake. For information on the Latter-day Saints and family history click https://www.comeuntochrist.org/

Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Help from the Genealogical Proof Standard

Genealogical Proof Standard

Jump to navigationJump to search
The purpose of the Genealogical Proof Standard is to show what the minimums are that a genealogist must do for his or her work to be credible.

There are five elements to the Genealogical Proof Standard:
1. Reasonably exhaustive research has been conducted.
2. Each statement of fact has a complete and accurate source citation.
3. The evidence is reliable and has been skillfully correlated and interpreted.
4. Any contradictory evidence has been resolved.
5. The conclusion has been soundly reasoned and coherently written.

Any proof statement is subject to re-evaluation when new evidence arises.
https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/Genealogical_Proof_Standard


I spent yesterday reviewing my great grandchildren's Sharp ancestry. I looked for additional historical records to use as sources.

As I searched for the family of John Joseph Sharp and Augusta Margaret Brett, I found a John and Margaret Sharp family in the 1921 Canada census with two children with the right names and some additional children, who I added to the family. But point 4 of the Genealogical Proof Standard saved the day. The family I found in the census lived in Moosejaw, Saskatchwan, and my family lived in British Columbia. and there were other inconsistencies. 

I had to add the correct parents to the Moosejaw family and move the children that belonged to that family out of my family. Now they are shown correctly in the FamilySearch Family Tree as different families. .

As I followed the Sharp line back, things looked good until I came to another inconsistency. Isiah Caleb Sharp born about 1799 in the USA was shown as a son of Morris Sharp who was roughly the same age. As I researched this family in the 1851-1881 censuses, I found Isiah Sharp and Caleb Sharp and their families were living next door to each other in 1861.  I could also add children shown in these documents. I was able to determine that Isiah, Caleb, and Morris were among the children of Anthony Sharp UEL 1750–1814  • 28WC-8PT​​ and Susannah Swayze 1760–1858 • L4HX-MZS​​. 

(The UEL designation indicates Americans who remained loyal to Britain during the American Revolution. These United Empire Loyalists became the foundation for English-speaking Canada.)

Anthony's father is shown as Johann Peter Scharfenstein, which explains why their ethnicity is shown as German in the census records.

The principles of The Genealogical Proof Standard helped with my research. 




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home