Bill's Genealogy Blog

Bill Buchanan is a long-time genealogy enthusiast, living in Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada. This blog will describe my experiences as I research my family history and help others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada

I am a retired online school teacher. I love family history. From 2007-2020, I spent much of my time providing part-time support for the world's largest free family history site https://familysearch.org This is very rewarding. I have helped others with the Family Tree and related FamilySearch products.
In 2010-2018 I served in the Edmonton_Alberta_Riverbend_Family_History_Centre..I have a FHC blog at Bill's Family History Center Blog Since 2020 I have been a family history consultant for Edmonton Alberta North Stake. For information on the Latter-day Saints and family history click https://www.comeuntochrist.org/

Monday, September 16, 2019

A Bullock Breakthrough

My father-in-law Ernie grew up in Liverpool, England. He was orphaned and he had very little information on his ancestors. What little information he gave us was mostly incorrect, which blocked any progress in discovering his ancestors. But he knew the names of his parents, and when records became available online, the search began in earnest. His parents and siblings were easily findable online. And this made it possible to find many of his ancestors, But the ancestors of his grandmother Jane Bullock remained a mystery. I found that Jane's father was Edward Bullock from Wales and her mother was Margaret Curphey from Douglas on the Isle of Mann. I had some success with Margaret's ancestors but Edward's ancestors were another matter. (BTW the Isle of Mann seems like a fascinating place)

Then I found Edward Bullock mis-indexed in the 1851 census as "Edwd Botock Head 44 1807 Male Montgomeryshire, Wales". This was information I needed! Recently. I found his christening 6 March 1808 in Berriew, Montgomeryshire, Wales. Parents were John Bullock and Elizabeth Edwards.

John Bullock was christened 10 June 1778 in Velindre, Montgomeryshire, son of John Bullock and Elizabeth Davies.

John Bullock was christened 10 June 1750 in Manafon, Montgomeryshire, son of John Bullock and Elizabeth Cowdell,

This John Bullock was christened 13 January 1704 in Welshpool, Montgomeryshire, Wales, son of Charles Bullock. I have found no wife for Charles.

There are too many Elizabeth Edwards and Elizabeth Davies in the Welshpool district to know which ones were the mothers in the Bullock line ... at least for now.

Fortunately Cowdell is not such a common name.

Elizabeth Cowdell was christened 28 April 1722 in Manafon, Montgomeryshire, Wales. She was the daughter of Richard Cowdell and Mary.

Richard Cowdell was christened 29 April 1693 in Manafon, Montgomeryshire, Wales. He was the son of John Cowdell and Anne.

John Cowdell was christened 2 Apr 1643 in Forden, Montgomeryshire, Wales, son of George Cowdell and Ann.


I would start by researching each person in FamilySearch, then in Ancestry.com, and then in fandmypast. I was very impressed by each of them, and I found the Welsh christening records in findmypast especially helpful in the early years. 

1 Comments:

Blogger Anna said...

Bill, On the very last paragraph on the Bullock information, you printed "fundmypast" which I believe is to be "findmypast". However in the next sentence you did mention "findmypast".
Just a typo error, right? Good job. These are Judy's and Bob's relatives - right? Ann

Tuesday, October 15, 2019 at 8:42:00 PM MDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home