Bill's Genealogy Blog

Bill Buchanan is a long-time genealogy enthusiast, living in Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada. This blog will describe my experiences as I research my family history and help others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada

I am a retired online school teacher. I love family history. From 2007-2020, I spent much of my time providing part-time support for the world's largest free family history site https://familysearch.org This is very rewarding. I have helped others with the Family Tree and related FamilySearch products.
In 2010-2018 I served in the Edmonton_Alberta_Riverbend_Family_History_Centre..I have a FHC blog at Bill's Family History Center Blog Since 2020 I have been a family history consultant for Edmonton Alberta North Stake. For information on the Latter-day Saints and family history click https://www.comeuntochrist.org/

Thursday, August 22, 2019

A Fosberry Breathrough in Hampshire, England

Tuesday 20 August 2019, I did research on my Fosberry line and had amazing success. I have known for many years that the father of my great grandmother was James Fosberry, who moved to London and changed the spelling of his name to Forsbury (still pronounced “Fosberry” in that part of England). James' parents are listed as Thomas and Mary on his christening records. But I have been stuck at that point ever since.

Tuesday, I made a breakthrough. I found Thomas' christening on 27 April 1782 in Winchester, Hampshire (25 miles west of Rogate) and discovered that his parents were John Fosberry and Olive Nicholson.

I found John Fosberry's christening on 6 December 1751 in Old Alresford, Hampshire (partway between Winchester and Rogate)

His parents were John Fosberry and Caroline Bendall. This John was christened on 19 Dec 1714 in
Kingsclere, Hampshire, England. Caroline was christened on 12 Mar 1732 in Winchester, her mother was Avis Bendall and no father is listed.

John's parents are listed as Peter Fosbury, christened on 21 January 1665 in Kingsclere and Alicia
born about 1670.

Peter's parents were Thomas Fosbury christened on 25 June 1643 in Kingsclere, and Jane Norcot, daughter of Thomas Norcot.

Thomas Fosbury was christened on 2 April 1615 in Kingsclere. his father was another Thomas Fosbury, and Mary Wetmor.

Unfortunately neither of his parents are listed on Thomas' christening record, but another Fosbery child about his age was more fortunate. So it seems almost certain that the father of Thomas and the other Fosberry children born in 1617, 1629, 1624, and 1629 is John Fosbery born about 1590. That seems to be as far back as the Kingsclere records go.


And Olive's Nicholson line were cooperative too, at least the fathers.
Olive Nicholson was christened on 28 September 1746 in Bighton,Hampshire,England
Her parents were Joseph Nicholson and Ann Taphouse,

Joseph Nicholson was christened on 02 February 1723 in Ropley, Hampshire, England
I can find no christening record for Ann Taphouse,

Joseph Nicholson's father is Robert Nicholson, christened on 5 January 1691 in Bighton, Hampshire

Robert's father is John Nicholson christened on 10 April 1652 in Bighton, Hampshire, England

John's father is John Nicholson christened on 12 October 1623 in Bighton,Hampshire,England

The next generation is Thomas Nicholson christened in October 1590 (no specific date) in Bighton

And the earliest Nicholson I found on this line was Thomas Nicholson born about 1560 and living in Bighton


What was my process? 
FamilySearch is said to have microfilmed 10,000 British parish registers, In FamilySearch Records, I looked for the parents close to where the child was christened. I estimated that they were maybe 30 years old when the child was born, since I do not know whether this was their first child, last child or somewhere in between. I have started by assuming that the father married at age 25 and the mother at age 20. As details were discovered I have adjusted my expectations. 

Am I doing the "genealogy happy dance"??? I certainly am!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home