Bill's Genealogy Blog

Bill Buchanan is a long-time genealogy enthusiast, living in Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada. This blog will describe my experiences as I research my family history and help others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada

I am a retired online school teacher. I love family history. From 2007-2020, I spent much of my time providing part-time support for the world's largest free family history site https://familysearch.org This is very rewarding. I have helped others with the Family Tree and related FamilySearch products.
In 2010-2018 I served in the Edmonton_Alberta_Riverbend_Family_History_Centre..I have a FHC blog at Bill's Family History Center Blog Since 2020 I have been a family history consultant for Edmonton Alberta North Stake. For information on the Latter-day Saints and family history click https://www.comeuntochrist.org/

Saturday, November 17, 2018

The Mystery of Annie May Buchanan 1884-1890

My cousin Barry had directed my attention to the records for Trinity Anglican Cemetery near Donegal, Perth, Ontario. This was a pioneer cemetery where some of my Buchanan family were buried. One grave in particular has puzzled me for a long time.

Annie May Buchanan
BIRTH 1884
Perth County, Ontario, Canada
DEATH 18 Jul 1890 (aged 5–6)
Elma, Perth County, Ontario, Canada
BURIAL
Trinity Anglican Cemetery
Donegal, Perth County, Ontario, Canada
MEMORIAL ID 154530855 ·
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/154530855/annie-may-buchanan

She is not mentioned in the Buchanan Family Tree book or any other family records. Her life fell between censuses, so she is not mentioned in the Canada census. Her birth is not recorded in the government records. (There is an Annie May Buchanan born 29 May 1888 in the area, but we know who she is, and she married Norman Acheson and died at age 70, not as a young child.) So who is the mystery child?

This record adds some information.
This is record 013889, located on page 511 of Schedule C - DEATHS
Anna May Buchanan
died July 18th, 1890
Female
6 years
Farmer's daughter
born Elma [township, Perth County]
Diptheria
duration 11 Days
physician Dr. Hamilton
informant Charles Buchanan
Gentleman, Elma
registered August 27th, 1890
Church of England
registrar Thos Fullarton


The informant for a death is normally a parent, spouse or adult child. Charles Buchanan was my great grandfather's brother. In the 1891 census he also gives his occupation as "Gentleman", so he is the right person. But there is a complication. Anna May was born about 15 years after Charles's youngest known child, so he is almost certainly not the father. He is probably the grandfather. He had five sons: Andrew, Thomas, William, John, Charles. Unfortunately I have no record of any of them being the father of Annie May, but one of them almost certainly has to be. Let's look at the possibilities:

Andrew born 10 Nov 1848 and died the following year. So it can't be him.

Thomas, born 15 Mar 1851, and married Ellen Cochrane 24 Dec 1875, and his family moved to Manitoba in 1881, so he would not have a daughter who died in Ontario in 1890.

William, born 8 May 1856 and married Mary McGregor 19 Apr 1882. At the time of the 1891 Canada census they were living in Grey County.

John, born about 1858 became a good prospect, so I spent considerable time researching him. The family records have almost no information other than saying that he had a wife named Mary and a son named Charles Henry, and was living in Michigan at the time of his father's death. He is found in the 1861 and 1871 Canada censuses then disappears. His sister Jane's obit says he is living at  Whittmore, Michigan, USA. Google maps identifies this as Whittemore, in Burleigh township,  Michigan. I then found him in the 1894 Michigan censuses and the US censuses for 1900, 1910 and 1920. Except his wife's name is given as Belle. Then I found a marriage record. 

Michigan Marriages, 1868-1925
Name: John Buchannan
Event Type: Marriage
Event Date: 28 Apr 1882
Event Place: Bingham, Huron, Michigan
Age: 21y
Birth Date: 1861
Birthplace: Ontario
Spouse's Name: Isabella Mary Campbell
Spouse's Age: 25y
Spouse's Birth Date: 1857
Spouse's Birthplace: Ontario
[This in turn led me to her parents and siblings.]
If John was living in Michigan in 1882, he would not have a daughter living in Ontario in 1884-1890. 

Charles, born May 1865, would have been 19 when Annie May was born, so he is probably not her father. In the 1891 census, Charles is single and living with his sister's family. On 6 Dec 1916 he married Janet Elizabeth Anderson. 

The best possibility seems to be William. We do not know when he moved to Grey County.

Charles is a possibility, but William seems the most likely father of Anna May Buchanan 1884-1990.

2 Comments:

Blogger Carol Bennett said...

Good morning, Bill. This mysery Annie May is in the same vicinity of those early settlers to Downie that I have been trying to unravel. They appear on the 1839 Downie/Gore census. I am related to the Wilsons found via dna matches. Not to get off track on mine, but many of the surrounding families on the Downie concession map are related. There is a Peter Buchanan, concession III, lot 15. Also, one of my Downie cousin's mother or grandmother was a Jane Buchanan, but I can't find it at the moment. I also had written to you about James Buchanan HMB, who was elected the agent to the Canada Co. by John Gault. He had a brother or Alexander Carlisle Buchanan and also ties to a Wm.Buchanan and a Robinson(brother in law) with a shipping company. I have not even begun to dig through all the Buchanans and other relation in this area, but it is a huge buffet of names and family. I found Jane Buchanan from Castlederg m. Andrew Monteith and other researchers state that she died in Downie. I have not been able to source that. Nothing solid to help your with Annie May, but more than coincidence that she was in the area of all the other Donegal and Castlederg families.

Sunday, December 23, 2018 at 9:08:00 AM MST  
Blogger Carol Bennett said...

Good morning, Bill. This mysery Annie May is in the same vicinity of those early settlers to Downie that I have been trying to unravel. They appear on the 1839 Downie/Gore census. I am related to the Wilsons found via dna matches. Not to get off track on mine, but many of the surrounding families on the Downie concession map are related. There is a Peter Buchanan, concession III, lot 15. Also, one of my Downie cousin's mother or grandmother was a Jane Buchanan, but I can't find it at the moment. I also had written to you about James Buchanan HMB, who was elected the agent to the Canada Co. by John Gault. He had a brother or Alexander Carlisle Buchanan and also ties to a Wm.Buchanan and a Robinson(brother in law) with a shipping company. I have not even begun to dig through all the Buchanans and other relation in this area, but it is a huge buffet of names and family. I found Jane Buchanan from Castlederg m. Andrew Monteith and other researchers state that she died in Downie. I have not been able to source that. Nothing solid to help your with Annie May, but more than coincidence that she was in the area of all the other Donegal and Castlederg families.

Sunday, December 23, 2018 at 9:08:00 AM MST  

Post a Comment

<< Home