Bill's Genealogy Blog

Bill Buchanan is a long-time genealogy enthusiast, living in Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada. This blog will describe my experiences as I research my family history and help others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada

I am a retired online school teacher. I love family history. Since 2007, I have spent much of my time providing part-time support for the world's largest free family history site https://familysearch.org This is very rewarding. I have helped others with the Family Tree and related FamilySearch products.
In 2010-2018 I served in the Edmonton Riverbend Family History Centre. I have a FHC blog at Bill's Family History Center Blog For information the Latter-day Saints and family history click https://www.comeuntochrist.org/

Saturday, September 01, 2018

Happy 75th Anniversary!

On Sunday Judy and I drove to Lacombe to join in a special celebration.

Myrtle and Evans celebrated their 75th wedding anniversary recently. They are my last surviving aunt and uncle. They have a daughter and two sons.


I have known for a long time that the best man and the maid of honour for the wedding were my father George Buchanan and Evans' sister Fern. But I did not know that I had played a very small role as well. "They first met at a baby shower for Billy Buchanan at the home of Mrs. Hettie Chapin." So if it wasn't for my baby shower they might not have met. But by even the longest stretch of imagination, that is all of the credit I can claim! The remaining 75 years was entirely their own achievement.

In 1943 Evans was serving in the Canadian Army and was able to get a short leave to marry Myrtle, before his unit was shipped off to join the conflict in Europe. He served in England, France, Holland, and Germany before returning home. 

Myrtle and Evans spent a lifetime serving in the community organizations where ever they lived. And they both enjoyed sports, even late in their senior years, and the medals they won proved their skills. Horse shoe pitching was a part of our Ing family reunions, and I remember that Evans was almost always a member of the winning twosome, regardless who he had for a partner.

They have impressed me as being happy and positive through bad times and good. I have never heard an unkind word from either of them. These wonderful people have made the world a better place in every way they could.

Congratulations Myrtle and Evans!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home