Bill's Genealogy Blog

Bill Buchanan is a long-time genealogy enthusiast, living in Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada. This blog will describe my experiences as I research my family history and help others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada

I am a retired online school teacher. I love family history. From 2007-2020, I spent much of my time providing part-time support for the world's largest free family history site https://familysearch.org This is very rewarding. I have helped others with the Family Tree and related FamilySearch products.
In 2010-2018 I served in the Edmonton_Alberta_Riverbend_Family_History_Centre..I have a FHC blog at Bill's Family History Center Blog Since 2020 I have been a family history consultant for Edmonton Alberta North Stake. For information on the Latter-day Saints and family history click https://www.comeuntochrist.org/

Saturday, August 25, 2018

Trip to Jasper National Park


When Rob was in Vietnam a few months ago, his in-laws helped him to see the local sights. We wanted to do the same for his mother-in-law before she returns home. 

On Wednesday morning we stopped at Rob’s at 8 am. Rob’s car would not start the night before so they were taking their Infinity QX4 SUV/van, which has more room but less fuel economy.

It would be a long drive to Jasper and the smoke from the forest fires in BC would obscure the mountains to some extent, but this was the time we had available for the trip.



We stopped at Hinton A&W for lunch, then on to Miette Hot Springs. We considered visiting the Beaver Boardwalk in Hinton, but decided that we did not have enough time, so we drove to Miette instead. Along  the highway way we saw a herd of bighorn mountain sheep.

On the Miette road we visited Punchbowl falls, which was not very impressive this time of year. 

What a road to Miette! 15 km of narrow road, sharp corners and hills. Rob said it made him wish that he still had his BMW. My car’s brakes probably received more wear and tear in this trip up the mountain and back than they received during the previous year! Rob was equal to the task of taking the baby stroller up and down the stairs at Miette. The water was hot and relaxing. Many of the people seemed to be foreign tourists.We had a long and enjoyable conversation with a Danish couple from Copenhagen. We stayed there until 2 pm. There were more mountain sheep at Miette. They have no fear of people at all

Then on to Maligne Canyon. We hiked down as far as the first bridge, then back. It was starting to get late in the afternoon, and we wanted to see Athabasca Falls. 

Athabasca Falls are a magnificent sight! We spent a half hour there, Then it was time to start back home. We saw two herds of elk, beautiful creatures. A mother bear and cub also walked past our car. Judy said she had never been as close to a bear in her life. (probably less than a meter), but she was safely inside the car and they were outside the car.



Rob stopped in Jasper to refuel but I was physically exhausted and decided to carry on home. We could probably have made it home without refueling, but it was not worth the risk. We stopped briefly in Edson, then on towards home. 

Rob passed us around Lake Wabamun. It was wonderful to arrive home about 9:15 pm. I was so tired at Athabasca Falls that I wasn’t sure I could drive all the way home. But I believe in the power of prayer.

It was a wonderful day. We did not manage to see everything I had hoped for, but I think that we all have good memories of what we have done and seen today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home