Bill's Genealogy Blog

Bill Buchanan is a long-time genealogy enthusiast, living in Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada. This blog will describe my experiences as I research my family history and help others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada

I am a retired online school teacher. I love family history. From 2007-2020, I spent much of my time providing part-time support for the world's largest free family history site https://familysearch.org This is very rewarding. I have helped others with the Family Tree and related FamilySearch products.
In 2010-2018 I served in the Edmonton_Alberta_Riverbend_Family_History_Centre..I have a FHC blog at Bill's Family History Center Blog Since 2020 I have been a family history consultant for Edmonton Alberta North Stake. For information on the Latter-day Saints and family history click https://www.comeuntochrist.org/

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The Bowl At Thanksgving we had a beautiful family dinner at our son Blaine's house. Judy took along our special chinaware created by her aunt Sally Hippard. Sally gave these to Judy shortly before she died, and they are a family treasure. They have been carefully protected and are used for special family dinners. It was a wonderful dinner! Nina also arranged with a neighbor to take our family photos in the park across the street. As we were packing to leave, I went to the car to get the towels we used to protect the dishes. As I picked up the towels, a bowl fell out and crashed on the paved driveway. It was one of Sally's hand-made bowls. She had mixed the slip, poured it in the mould, cleaned the greenware and scratched her "Happy Haven" picture and "SEH 1978" into the base, and then fired it in her electric kiln. Then she added the decals and glazing to the bisque and fired it again. It was a work of love and the passion of creation. Now it lay in pieces. It was no one's fault, but I grieved its loss! I put the broken pieces on the rear floor of our car, expecting to give them a burial on our acreage. But Judy did the reasonable thing and cleaned the car and threw them out. I still grieved its loss. A few days later I was talking to Bill Thomas, with whom I serve at familysearch.org. He said he would need two days off. His friend's son had committed suicide. The viewing was on Tuesday and the burial on Wednesday. I felt unbelievably foolish to be grieving over a bowl when someone else was grieving the loss of a son! It occurred to me that I attach too much importance to things ... not to money, but to objects I have grown attached to. Often these are objects that have no value to anyone else, but precious memories keep them dear to my heart. I realize that sooner or later there comes the time when all of these things are left behind. But emotionally, I don't think I am at that point yet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home