Bill's Genealogy Blog

Bill Buchanan is a long-time genealogy enthusiast, living in Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada. This blog will describe my experiences as I research my family history and help others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada

I am a retired online school teacher. I love family history. From 2007-2020, I spent much of my time providing part-time support for the world's largest free family history site https://familysearch.org This is very rewarding. I have helped others with the Family Tree and related FamilySearch products.
In 2010-2018 I served in the Edmonton_Alberta_Riverbend_Family_History_Centre..I have a FHC blog at Bill's Family History Center Blog Since 2020 I have been a family history consultant for Edmonton Alberta North Stake. For information on the Latter-day Saints and family history click https://www.comeuntochrist.org/

Tuesday, August 27, 2024

My Almost Forgotten Aunt Maggie

 

My brother invited me to come with him to visit the grave of our aunt Margaret (always called Maggie).

Maggie died
in Stettler, Alberta in 1936 aged 26. Her husband and children are now deceased as well, There is probably no one alive who knew her personally. She is almost forgotten.

She was the closest of Dad's siblings in age and his closest friend among his siblings. He was shaving on a Friday when he received the shocking news of her death. For years he would avoid shaving on a Friday because it brought back the painful memory. The song "When You and I were Young Maggie" would bring tears to his eyes. 

Mom kept a special place in her heart for this sister-in-law that she had never met. And when Mom passed at age 98, she left some money in her estate to put a headstone on Maggie's unmarked grave. This has been done. (Thanks Mom.)

On August 21, Lloyd and I set off to visit Maggie's grave and view the new headstone. While we were there I offered a prayer at her grave. My brother and I reflected on the lives of Aunt Maggie and her family. It was a special time. (Maggie, we never met you, but your life is remembered.)

In Memory of Margaret Isobel "Maggie" McCALLUM (Buchanan)
Mar 7, 1909 - Feb 13, 1936


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home