Bill's Genealogy Blog

Bill Buchanan is a long-time genealogy enthusiast, living in Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada. This blog will describe my experiences as I research my family history and help others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada

I am a retired online school teacher. I love family history. From 2007-2020, I spent much of my time providing part-time support for the world's largest free family history site https://familysearch.org This is very rewarding. I have helped others with the Family Tree and related FamilySearch products.
In 2010-2018 I served in the Edmonton_Alberta_Riverbend_Family_History_Centre..I have a FHC blog at Bill's Family History Center Blog Since 2020 I have been a family history consultant for Edmonton Alberta North Stake. For information on the Latter-day Saints and family history click https://www.comeuntochrist.org/

Tuesday, May 14, 2024

Copying Slide Photos (Color Diapositives)

 In 1964 I was serving in a small city in southern France, assisting a small local congregation. One particular family had several children, The second oldest of these was Gaby,  He was part of nearly everything we did. He was a teenager at the time but, he is obviously a "senior citizens" now. 

We reconnected recently, I had done a little family history research on his family and he contacted me to ask if I would correct an error I had made. I was glad to do so. 

I gave him the link to an online photo album I had created of some of the best photos from my mission. He loved the fact that some of the photos showed him and members of his family. He asked if I had any more photos that I had taken in his city. 

I told him that I had a few more but they were in the form of slides and I did not have a slide scanner. I checked into buying one but most were $70 or more, and the reviews were generally negative. Then I found an accessory that held a cell phone above an illuminated slide and the cost was $18 and the reviews were generally positive. So I bought one. 

My new phone had difficulty getting sharp photos of the slides, so I tried using the camera on my wife's tablet. It was much sharper, but awkward to balance on something designed to hold a phone.

I wondered whether my old smart phone was still workable. This proved to be the best option. I used it to copy the slides he wanted and sent copies to him. He was really glad to have them.

And I was able to enlarge the online photo album.

I love old photos.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home