Bill's Genealogy Blog

Bill Buchanan is a long-time genealogy enthusiast, living in Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada. This blog will describe my experiences as I research my family history and help others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada

I am a retired online school teacher. I love family history. From 2007-2020, I spent much of my time providing part-time support for the world's largest free family history site https://familysearch.org This is very rewarding. I have helped others with the Family Tree and related FamilySearch products.
In 2010-2018 I served in the Edmonton_Alberta_Riverbend_Family_History_Centre..I have a FHC blog at Bill's Family History Center Blog Since 2020 I have been a family history consultant for Edmonton Alberta North Stake. For information on the Latter-day Saints and family history click https://www.comeuntochrist.org/

Saturday, August 03, 2024

A mystery solved? Probably

I have been helping someone solve his genealogical mysteries for the past few years. 

But an on-going puzzle has been the father of his ancestor Richard Coles. Richard was born in 1871 in Brackley, Northamptonshire, England, to Jane Coles, an unmarried 16-year-old girl, Within a few months, Jane marred Thomas, Pullen, and after his death she married James Baldwin, and then Richard Robinson. Jane and Richard Robinson moved to Victoria, British Columbia in their old age. 

Jane had 11 children, but the puzzle for Richard's descendants has always been "Who is Richard Coles' birth father?" Because Jane married Thomas Pullen soon after Richard's birth, Thomas has often been assumed to be Richard's father. Then why was Richard not known as Richard Pullen? If it was someone else, why didn't he marry Jane and spare her the shame, if he could?

A YDNA test by a male Coles cousin recently provided the answer. At 67 markers, there was a perfect match with a Giles family from Buckingham, Buckinghamshire, England. And in the 1871 census, we find a 16 year old James Giles from Buckingham, Buckinghamshire, living in Brackley with the Thomas Hutton family as a servant. At the time of the 1871 census, Brackley had a population of about 400 people, so everyone knew everyone in the community.

This seems to answer all of the questions. James was old enough to father a child but too young to marry. 


NOTE:
The family tree of the YDNA match shows descent from their shared ancestor through a different branch of the Giles family. 


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home