Bill's Genealogy Blog

Bill Buchanan is a long-time genealogy enthusiast, living in Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada. This blog will describe my experiences as I research my family history and help others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada

I am a retired online school teacher. I love family history. From 2007-2020, I spent much of my time providing part-time support for the world's largest free family history site https://familysearch.org This is very rewarding. I have helped others with the Family Tree and related FamilySearch products.
In 2010-2018 I served in the Edmonton_Alberta_Riverbend_Family_History_Centre..I have a FHC blog at Bill's Family History Center Blog Since 2020 I have been a family history consultant for Edmonton Alberta North Stake. For information on the Latter-day Saints and family history click https://www.comeuntochrist.org/

Saturday, September 02, 2023

My Early Family HIstory Efforts

 I received an email from a friend asking if I knew of an Isabella Buchanan who had married a Walter Hunter.

This brought back some memories.
I remembered visiting "Watt" and "Bella" Hunter in 1962.I had asked my relatives in Alberta for all the family information they had, then I hitch-hiked to Neepawa, Manitoba looking for more relatives. I was helped and blessed all the way. 

Someone at the newspaper told me "You should talk to Merv Buchanan who manages the Windsor Salt plant, He is interested in Buchanan family history."

Merv immediately invited me to stay with his family. and after supper each day we would drive off to visit out-of-town relatives that he thought might be able to help. While he was at work, I would visit relatives in town.

One of these was Bella Hunter, one of Dad's first cousins. When she answered her door, I explained that I was Bill Buchanan, son of William George Buchanan, son of Willie the Blacksmith.(There were so many with the same name that they used nicknames to tell them apart.) 
I mentioned that my dad was born in 1906 in Riding Mountain.

She said "No, your Daddy wasn't born in Riding Mountain, he was born on my parents' farm here at Neepawa, I know, because I was there when he was born. Aunt Lizzie stayed with my parents for a few days before the baby was due"

Wow. What amazing people. I returned home to Calgary with a stack of completed family group- sheets.



Dad had been trying to get his birth registered so that he could eventually get the old age pension. He had been told that if he could get an affidavit from someone present at his birth, that would meet the requirements. Bella was glad to do that for him. (a fringe benefit of my family history efforts.)

I hope that you are all making a record of your own history and sharing it with your families.


Bill

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home