Bill's Genealogy Blog

Bill Buchanan is a long-time genealogy enthusiast, living in Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada. This blog will describe my experiences as I research my family history and help others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada

I am a retired online school teacher. I love family history. From 2007-2020, I spent much of my time providing part-time support for the world's largest free family history site https://familysearch.org This is very rewarding. I have helped others with the Family Tree and related FamilySearch products.
In 2010-2018 I served in the Edmonton_Alberta_Riverbend_Family_History_Centre..I have a FHC blog at Bill's Family History Center Blog Since 2020 I have been a family history consultant for Edmonton Alberta North Stake. For information on the Latter-day Saints and family history click https://www.comeuntochrist.org/

Friday, December 11, 2020

The gift of a book

On October 31, I had a phone call about 12 pm from Sheila (one of my cousins on the Ing line). She said that she was at the Darwell corner, on her way to Edmonton and she was wondering if we could meet. I suggested the main McDonalds restaurant in town. Because of COVID, my wife's doctor asks her to avoid contact with other people, so I hesitated to invite them to our home, although I would like to have done so. I phoned Lloyd to invite him, but he was in Devon. So I met Allan and Sheila at McDonalds and she gave me a copy of the Memoirs of her mother Violet (Suter) Weinhardt. And she gave me an extra copy for Lloyd, if he would like it. 

I have enjoyed reading it, and I found that her father had an older brother Herman, at Vanderhoof, BC. And I found Herman's death certificate on the BC Archives site, which gave his birth place and his father's name. Then I found the passenger manifest which also pinpoints his birth place. It is great fun.

In the FamilySearch Family Tree, I found that someone had already created a record for Arno and his parents. I added his brothers Herman and Eric to the Family Tree. 

Over the next few days I also did research on the spouses of Violet's brothers and sisters. I enjoy doing this.

Thank you Sheila!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home