Bill's Genealogy Blog

Bill Buchanan is a long-time genealogy enthusiast, living in Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada. This blog will describe my experiences as I research my family history and help others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada

I am a retired online school teacher. I love family history. From 2007-2020, I spent much of my time providing part-time support for the world's largest free family history site https://familysearch.org This is very rewarding. I have helped others with the Family Tree and related FamilySearch products.
In 2010-2018 I served in the Edmonton_Alberta_Riverbend_Family_History_Centre..I have a FHC blog at Bill's Family History Center Blog Since 2020 I have been a family history consultant for Edmonton Alberta North Stake. For information on the Latter-day Saints and family history click https://www.comeuntochrist.org/

Monday, November 02, 2020

Family History Research at the Provincial Archives of Alberta

 Old records of birth, marriage and death can be found at the Provincial Archives of Alberta in Edmonton.

Some of these are available online, others may require a free visit to the archives building.
According to their website, these records are available online:

Birth, marriage, and death records are called Vital Statistics. The Provincial Archives of Alberta holds hundreds of thousands of vital statistic records.

The Provincial Archives of Alberta provides access to:

  • birth records that are 120 years or older (from the date of birth)
  • marriage records that are 75 years or older (from the date of marriage)
  • death records that are 50 years or older (from the date of death)
  • stillbirth records that are 75 years or older (from the date of stillbirth)

To access a vital statistics registration, start here.

What other useful things do they have?

When I served as a volunteer at a Family History Centre, about 15 years ago, I would visit the Provincial Archives after my shift was over, and I experienced a lot of success.

Local Histories of Alberta Communities, containing life sketches of family members. I discovered that Dad's brother and sister both played on local baseball teams in the Telford district, west of Millet, And there were so many interesting stories. 

Wills and Probates I found interesting family details there as well.

Church Records proved that Dad and his siblings were wrong, Their cousin Nate Watson was not adopted. His christening record proves it. And so much more.

Homestead Records a lot of early Albertan had homesteads. It is easy to check, who when and where.

Burials do not seem to be listed on the website, but I found burial and death records there that I could not find anywhere else.

If you are looking for information about early residents of Alberta, maybe check the Provincial Archives online or in person. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home