Bill's Genealogy Blog

Bill Buchanan is a long-time genealogy enthusiast, living in Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada. This blog will describe my experiences as I research my family history and help others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada

I am a retired online school teacher. I love family history. Since 2007, I have spent much of my time providing part-time support for the world's largest free family history site https://familysearch.org This is very rewarding. I have helped others with the Family Tree and related FamilySearch products.
In 2010-2018 I served in the Edmonton Riverbend Family History Centre. I have a FHC blog at Bill's Family History Center Blog For information the Latter-day Saints and family history click https://www.comeuntochrist.org/

Saturday, April 02, 2016

Saskatchewan, New Brunswick, and FamilySearch

For the past few weeks I have been in touch with one of Judy's cousins in Saskatchewan. This is another of those situations, where a few years ago I could have asked some of the older Teales, Hamiltons, and McGillivrays about friends and neighbors. But that generation is gone now, and when I could have asked them, I didn't know the right questions.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have badly neglected this blog. I remain very involved in family history, but not so much in my personal research. Every Thursday evening Judy and I serve in the Edmonton Riverbend Family History Center. We have had some evenings when nobody comes and others when there are more people than we can handle. It is fun teaching people to find their ancestors in online databases or teaching them to scan and upload old family photos! Sometimes we even get to teach them to use the microfilm readers.

 
Since April 2015, I serve about 25 hours per week in FamilySearch Support, where we help people experiencing problems with our website https://familysearch.org (This is the world's largest free family history website.) We provide toll-free telephone numbers from most areas of the world as well as email at support@familysearch.org and real-time text chat. I am one of about 450 people serving in North American English Support during our daytime. In our evening, the Asia- Pacific Support team looks after English language support, and they are followed by the Europe-Middle East-Africa Support team, before it becomes the turn of North America again. Our website is available in 10 major languages, but English is the most heavily used. I find it a personally rewarding service. 

If you are doing family history research, I encourage you to visit our website!



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home