Bill's Genealogy Blog

Bill Buchanan is a long-time genealogy enthusiast, living in Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada. This blog will describe my experiences as I research my family history and help others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada

I am a retired online school teacher. I love family history. Since 2007, I have spent much of my time providing part-time support for the world's largest free family history site https://familysearch.org This is very rewarding. I have helped others with the Family Tree and related FamilySearch products.
In 2010-2018 I served in the Edmonton Riverbend Family History Centre. I have a FHC blog at Bill's Family History Center Blog For information the Latter-day Saints and family history click https://www.comeuntochrist.org/

Thursday, October 02, 2014

Ancestors of Ernest (Robert) Kinney


I have created books on various of our family lines, and the time arrived for me to create one on Judy's father's ancestors. His genealogy was a challenge to the family because he was an orphan who knew relatively little about his family. Even in the case of his own parents, he did not know when and where they were born. His guesses in that regard were misleading, preventing progress to the point where family members basically gave up looking.
Even his own name added to the confusion. When he disappeared after WWII he was still using the name Ernest Kinney. When he contacted the family again several years later, he was using the name Robert Kinney, and called himself "Bob".
Some of the family information he provided was correct, such as the names of his parents and the approximate time and place of their marriage and deaths. As better records became available, I was able to determine that his father was not born in Belfast, but in Liverpool. And his mother was born in Liverpool too, not in Cheshire or Wales. The official records confirmed some facts and added many new facts. Because his parents were born in England, better records were available to identify them and their ancestors.
The story began to unfold, as ancestral lines led to other parts of England, Ireland, Scotland, and the Isle of Man.

The book is in the form of a PDF file. It has a narrative ancestry report, an index, and a set of pedigree charts. The narrative includes many of my research notes, documenting my findings. I will be happy to provide a copy to any family members who are interested.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home