Bill's Genealogy Blog

Bill Buchanan is a long-time genealogy enthusiast, living at Onoway, Alberta, Canada. This blog will describe my experiences as I research my family history and help others.

My Photo
Location: Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada

I am a retired online school teacher. During July 2007 - January 2010, and September 2011 - March 2014, I provided part-time support for This is very rewarding. I have helped others with the Family Tree and related FamilySearch products.
Since April 2010, I have served in the Edmonton Riverbend Family History Centre. I have a FHC blog at Bill's Family History Center Blog For information the Latter-day Saints and family history click

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

I just received the results from an online family history survey done by blogger Myles Proudfoot of the blog  The survey is quite detailed, but if you are curious, the link below will open the results in MS Word format.

I found it interesting that it is a link to his Dropbox account, and I taught that use of Dropbox in my class just last Thursday.

I also noted that it disagrees with Kory Myerink's rating for the most frequently used genealogy websites, and is much closer to what I would expect.


FAMILY HISTORY SURVEY          April 2011
  The Family History Survey was fielded March 12 to April 5 2011. Respondents were self-selecting, linking to the survey from Twitter feeds, genealogy blogs posts, Facebook pages, LinkedIn and email forwards
  •  1050 respondents were recorded (I was expecting about 200). 954 respondents completed the survey. Resulting in a 91% completion rate
  •  A variety of genealogists responded to the survey from the inexperienced to highly proficient. I make no claim to be have a random representative sample. There is a respondent skew towards those more connected via social media.
  •  Survey completion length was typically 15-20 minutes
  •  Final survey wording can be found here 


Post a Comment

<< Home