Bill's Genealogy Blog

Bill Buchanan is a long-time genealogy enthusiast, living at Onoway, Alberta, Canada. This blog will describe my experiences as I research my family history and help others.

My Photo
Location: Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada

I am a retired online school teacher. During July 2007 - January 2010, and September 2011 - March 2014, I provided part-time support for This is very rewarding. I have helped others with the Family Tree and related FamilySearch products.
Since April 2010, I have served in the Edmonton Riverbend Family History Centre. I have a FHC blog at Bill's Family History Center Blog For information the Latter-day Saints and family history click

Sunday, March 06, 2011

Value of a Blog
My blog and my website bring me contacts from very distant relatives of me and my wife. Here is part of a recent one:

Hello from Australia! My name is ..., I accidentally came across your family tree website while I was on Google looking for my great great great grandma, Gertrude Henery. Well, I think she's that, not sure I could have one too many 'great's' in her title, but I'm keen to find out. As Popeye would say, "Blow me down!", is what I was thinking when I was reading about all my grandparents, aunts, uncles & cousins on your site. I was absolutely amazed!!! Where did you get such, in some cases, such detailed information? ...
We started corresponding, and he sent me some old photos. (I love those!) It occurred to me to send them to two of our cousins in Australia. I received the following response.

Dear Bill
[My wife] only came home from hospital last week after almost a month so is still not well enought to come down to the office to check emails etc. I told her about your email today and she is over the moon as she had never seen a photo of her great grandmother even though her great grandfather lived with her family when she was a tot. When she is well enough she will get back to you.

This exchange (which has involved 11 messages so far), has allowed me to bring joy to two of my cousins who didn't know each other. I gave the first cousin two more generations of his ancestry, and gave the second cousin a photo of her great grandmother whom she had never seen.

Who says genealogy isn't fun?!!!


Post a Comment

<< Home