Bill's Genealogy Blog

Bill Buchanan is a long-time genealogy enthusiast, living in Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada. This blog will describe my experiences as I research my family history and help others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada

I am a retired online school teacher. I love family history. Since 2007, I have spent much of my time providing part-time support for the world's largest free family history site https://familysearch.org This is very rewarding. I have helped others with the Family Tree and related FamilySearch products.
In 2010-2018 I served in the Edmonton Riverbend Family History Centre. I have a FHC blog at Bill's Family History Center Blog For information the Latter-day Saints and family history click https://www.comeuntochrist.org/

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

My First Posting

I am an avid follower of the Genealogy Guys podcast at http://genealogyguys.com and for some time I have been thinking of starting my own blog. Today I was at the laundromat doing the white laundry. (Our well water turns white things grey, and we like our white clothing to stay white.) While doing the white laundry, I was getting caught up on the latest two podcasts. One of them had Drew Smith's interview with Steve Danko about Steve's genealogy blog. So, here goes ... This past week has been an active one for me where genealogy is concerned. Wednesday during my shift at the Bonnie Doon Family History Center, I helped one man order a birth certificate from England, helped another to clean up and repair his database (using PAF Insight), and spent an hour on Ancestry.com looking unsuccessfully for records for another FHC worker. I ordered the birth certificate online for Charlotte Harriet Eley, my great grandmother. This will allow me to confirm the information I already have for her. I gave my brother Lloyd a copy of the "My Buchanans and Watsons" history, which I have nearly finished writing, and I mailed a copy to a cousin in Spokane, Washington. I received a thick book written on the family of my grandfather's uncle, James Waller. This was edited by Irene Kerr, a Waller cousin in Australia. I made miscellaneous postings on the two Personal Ancestral File lists I subscribe to: paf-5-users@rootsweb.com and PAF5-USERS@yahoogroups.com I received an email from an unknown Vinnell relative who found an error on my website, and we were able to have a friendly and beneficial exchange of information on that family. I received an email from an unknown Buchanan cousin/cousin-in-law (if that term doesn't exist, it really should) and I was able to involve another cousin who was closely connected to her branch of the family. I even got 4 old family photos out of the deal! It was a sweet experience. Last week, Yahoo.com resurrected our Andrew-Buchanan family mailing list and I was able to exchange information with the Buchanan cousins regarding the death of Douglas Keith Buchanan, a second cousin of mine. Well, I had better publish this before my telephone connection goes down again.

1 Comments:

Blogger Buggs Books Used Craft Patterns said...

hi bill , val buchanan here =) Great blog! Hope to see more

Wednesday, November 8, 2006 at 10:13:00 AM MST  

Post a Comment

<< Home